UPSC has a number of different growth rooms, cabinets and climate chambers that allow plant growth of transgenic, flowering plants in controlled environments. Their usage is restricted to people that belong to UPSC and their collaborators. Access is only granted after an introduction to the facility including information about working rules and safety regulations.
You can find more information about access, costs, booking of the growth rooms, cabinets and climate chambers below as well as details about growth conditions. The complete rules and regulations for UPSC's Growth Facility can be found here.
We have been granted permission by Jordbruksverket to grow genetically modified organisms (GMO)s inside the Security Greenhouse and under certain restrictions also in the climate chambers, cabinets and the cold room on floor 2, outside of the Security Greenhouse. The detailed rules can be found in the above document "General Rules Greenhouse".
The Security Greenhouse contains 8 Arabidopsis Growth Rooms, 8 walk-in chambers, several growth cabinets and four Greenhouse rooms.
The Arabidopsis Growth Rooms are specifically designed for controlled growth of flowering, transgenic plants. Due to permits and security reasons transgenic flowering plants have, without exception, to be grown in this high-security facility. There are special procedures in place to prevent the release of transgenic pollen and seeds.
The access to the growth facility is limited to people that have acquired the necessary information and training regarding the safety regulations and work-rules.
This facility is designed specifically for the controlled growth of transgenic plants. As a result, there are special procedures in place to stop the release of transgenic pollen and seeds from this facility. Before you get access to this facility you must:
- Register at http://register.upsc.se
- Read and understand the information in this document (UPSC General Rules, Access, and Security for Greenhouse and Arabidopsis Growth Rooms, incl. appendices).
- Confirm that you understood and will comply with the described rules and safety regulations.
If you had the greenhouse Introduction and are registered (https://www.upsc.se/Register) you can book growth room space at: https://growthrooms.upsc.se. SLU users must log in with the “Sign in with Microsoft” function.
- When a room is available for bookings, it will be announced by mail to the “UPSC all” mailing list.
- You are limited to book up to four trays per room.
Please don’t book more space than you have need for!
- You can place your trays in a room up to 10 days when it is open for new plants again, after cleaning.
- If you are not able to place your trays within that time, you are not allowed to place them at all. In that case, book a place in another room (they open within two weeks usually).
After the bookings close
- You can´t book or delete bookings.
- Your PI will be charged for the booked space, even if you don´t use it
- Bookings after the official period for booking has expired may in certain cases be made, but it is an exception. Such bookings will cost an extra fee.
You can see your booked positions when logged in to the Growth Rooms application or on the touchscreen within the facility on floor 4.
Arabidopsis growth rooms
Charges for these growth rooms are based on a flat fee per tray per growth cycle. The rooms can take 16 trays per shelf on 6 shelves per room.
Charges have been set to:
Long-day rooms: 200:- per tray
Short-day rooms: 300:- per tray
Arabidopsis greenhouse Floor 5: 200:- per tray
Poplar greenhouses Floor 5
Charges are the same like in the Wallenberg greenhouse:
45:- per table per day
Room 10 on floor 3 is only available for in vitro culture or cell suspensions.
The setting is on long days, 16h light with the timing: 07:00-23:00. Temperature (day/night) 22°C/18°C.
The in vitro room is inspected weekly and deep cleaning will be done once per year in December.
The Growth facility consists of 8 growth rooms with bookable space (Growth room space must be booked before use). Six of these rooms feature long day condition (light period is 16hours long) and two feature short day condition (light period is 8hours long) with a day temperature of ~22°C and a night temperature of ~18°C.
Additionally, a greenhouse room with less controlled long day settings is available.
To allow the completion of the life cycle of Arabidopsis, and reducing the danger of infections, the rooms open and close on a ¨rotating basis¨. This means that the time to place new plants in a LD-room is limited to 10 days and then closed for new plants until the cleaning 3 month later. Therefore, every room should contain Arabidopsis in the same stage.
LD (long day, 16h light) rooms:
- Six rooms, placed on floor 4
- Room 1-3 + 8: 06.00-22.00, Room 5: 05:30-21:30, Room 7: 05:45-21:45
- The growth cycle in LD rooms is 3 months. The rooms are cleaned, and heat decontaminated between cycles.
- The booking is open for 22 days, 12 days before the room is reopened for new plants, and 10 days after - this is when you place your trays.
SD (short day, 8h light) rooms:
- Room 9 + 6: 08.00-16.00, placed on floor 3 and floor 4
- The growth cycle in SD rooms is 6 months. The rooms are cleaned, and heat decontaminated between cycles.
- The booking starts 12 days before the room is opened
- The booking timeframe is 3 months, and you can place your trays during that time.
LD (long day, 16h light) Greenhouse room no. 4:
- One room, placed on floor 5.
- The growth cycle in greenhouse room 4 is 6 months and it is used for Arabidopsis.
- Make your booking on the booking list placed on the door.
- Booking and placing trays is continuously possible if they are pest, mildew and mold free!
- This room will be cleaned and steamed every 6 months.
- This is a greenhouse room, and it is not possible to control the settings to the same extent as in the LD rooms on floor 4.
Please note the cleaning date before you place your booking.
Within UPSC, several walk-in climate chambers and growth cabinets are available for conducting studies in a controlled environment. Those are located on floor 2 outside of the security facility (seven walk-in chambers, nine growth cabinets, cold room) and inside the security facility on floor 3 (eight chambers, eight growth cabinets) and can be set to a wide range of temperatures and irradiance conditions to suit individual experimental requirements.
Outside of the security area on floor two is a cold room available for growing and/or winter-hardening of plants. The light conditions in the cold room are set to short-day conditions (8/16 day/night).
The permission for growing GMOs in these areas is strictly bound to certain rules that must be followed without exception. The usage of these chambers and cabinets is restricted to members of UPSC. These rules are posted on the doors of all growth rooms and they can be find in the document General Rules UPSC Growth Facility.
The chambers and growth cabinets located outside the security greenhouse must be used exclusively for the growth of experimental material. The use for growing Arabidopsis for transformation or seed production is strictly prohibited.
Search the webpage for available Climate chambers and Growth Cabinets. The cold room can be booked using the same request form like for climate chambers and growth cabinets.
With the current pressure on this facility, it is advisable to plan well in advance of 3 months. To use the controlled environment facility, you must fill every box in the request form, where you state:
- what type of chamber or cabinet you require
- the specific conditions
- and the duration of the planned experiment. State both start and stop date.
The stop date is crucial for future bookings and planning. Please respect this for everyone's benefit.
Inform your group leader before you submit your application, then submit the form to Jan Karlsson. Any PI can have maximum 3 chambers booked simultaneously. If there is a need of more, please contact the Growth Facility Management Group.
Remember that you will be charged for the space until you have cleaned up after the experiment. Seeds and dirty dishes must be taken care of.
130:- per day
Please Note: The full cost is charged regardless of whether you have 1 plant or 1000. If there is more than one user, the costs are shared.
85:- per day
5:- per m2 per day
UPSC has nine in-vitro rooms dedicated to grow transformed tree material. They are used mainly for poplar. These rooms are a part of the Poplar Transgenics Facility, which is also in charge of security and usage.