Program manager for the north Swedish tree breed- ing programs at Skogforsk, including operational breeding and supportive research of mainly Nor- way spruce, Scots pine, lodgepole pine, and birch. Adjunct professor at UPSC with main objective to facilitate knowledge exchange between operational tree breeding and genomic research. Aims are to adopt new techniques into tree breeding as theyare progressing, and to bring research issues to the University that has relevance from tree breeding and operational forestry. An important issue is supply of genetic values (Breeding values) from spruce breed- ing populations and material with known pedigree to support the spruce genome sequencing research at UPSC. Also teaching and supervising PhD students are prioritized.
One major concern in tree breeding is to prepare for climatic change, including long term breeding strategies as well as cur- rent deployment strategies for reforestation material. Breeding populations with new climatic adaptation pro les are assembled by selecting trees that perform well at particularly warm (or cold) localities in a certain photoperiod (latitude). In addition, generalist trees with low genotype-by-environment interaction and trees with high pest and disease resistance are favoured along with traditional selection criteria (vitality, growth, stem and wood quality). For immediate action a dynamic deployment strategy is developed, based on response functions to match current reforestation material with future growth environments at a given site.Selected on-going research projects connected to UPSC and TC4F (Trees and Crops for Future):
- - Spruce phenology in changing climate.
- Co-workers: J Westin Skogforsk, Helena Gålnander Bergvik Skog AB (PhD student), A M Jönsson Univ. of Lund, E Ögren UPSC.
- - Meta-analyses of N. spruce population reaction norms. Co-workers: M Berlin and J Westin Skogforsk, Helena Gålnander Bergvik Skog AB (PhD student),
- L Bärring SMHI, H Wu UPSC.
- - Somatic embryogenesis (SE) in breeding
- (2 projects). Co-workers: S Arnold SLU, U Egertsdotter STT, K-A Högberg and J Westin Skogforsk.
- - Establishing/managing mapping populations for association studies (4 projects). Co-workers: S Jansson UPSC, Bo Karlsson and Gunnar Jansson Skogforsk.
- - Preservation of the Swedish spruce breeding population. Co-workers: M Lascoux UU, P Ingvarsson UPSC, S Abrahamsson, J Westin, B Karlsson, G Jansson Skogforsk.
- - Relatedness, genetic variation and inbreeding in natural and managed populations. Co-workers: R Garcia-Gil UPSC, L Östlund SLU and T Mullin Skogforsk.
- - Quantitative Genetic Survey of Scots Pine and lodgepole pine (2 projects). Co-workers: H Wu and A Fries UPSC, J Kroon and T Persson Skogforsk.
- - Pollen contamination in tented seed orchards. Co-workers: X-R Wang and T Funda UPSC, U Wenn- ström and C Almqvist Skogforsk.
- - Pine phenology in maritime and continental climate. Co-workers: A Federkov Russian Academy of Science,T Persson and T Mullin Skogforsk.
- Torimarua, T., Wennström, U., Andersson, B., Almqvist, C., and Wang, X-R. (2013). Reduction of pollen contamination in Scots pine
- seed orchard crop by tent isolation. Scand. J. For. Res. 28, 715–723.
- Abrahamsson, S., Nilsson. J-E., Wu, H., Garcia-Gil, MR, & Andersson, B. (2012). Inheritance of height growth and autumn cold
- hardiness based on two generations of full-sib and half-sib families of Pinus sylvestris. Scand. J. For. Res. 27, 405–413.
- Kroon, K., Ericsson,T., Jansson, G. & Andersson, B. (2011). Patterns of genetic parameters for height in field genetic tests of Picea
- abies and Pinus sylvestris in Sweden. Tree Genetics and Genomes 7: 1099-1111.
- Mullin, T.J., Andersson, B., Bastien, J.-C., Beaulieu, J., Burdon, R.D., Dvorak, W.S., King, J.N., Kondo, T., Krakowski, J., Lee, S.J., McKeand, S.E., Pâques, L., Raffin, A., Russell, J., Skrøppa, T., Stoehr, M., and Yanchuk, A.D. (2011). Chapter 2: Economic importance, breeding objectives and achievements. Pp. 40-127 In: Genetics, Genomics and Breeding of Conifers. Edited by: C. Plomion, J. Bousquet and C. Kole. Science Publishers, Inc., Enfield, NH; Edenbridge Ltd., UK
- Wang, C., Andersson, B., and Waldmann, P. (2009). Genetic analysis of longitudinal height data using random regression. Can. J. For. Res. 39: 1939–1948.
The Norway spruce genome sequence and conifer genome evolution
Nature 2013; 497(7451):579-584
Abrahamsson S, Nilsson JE, Wu H, García-Gil MR, Andersson B
Inheritance of height growth and autumn cold hardiness based on two generations of full-sib and half-sib families of Pinus sylvestris
Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research: Available online: 14 Feb 2012
Torimaru T, Wang X-R, Fries A, Andersson B, Lindgren D
Evaluation of pollen contamination in an advanced Scots pine seed orchard in Sweden
Silvae Genetica: 2009 58:262-269
Shutova T, Kenneweg H, Buchta J, Nikitina J, Terentyev V, Chernyshov S, Andersson B, Allakhverdiev SI, Klimov VV, Dau H, Junge W, Samuelsson G
The photosystem II-associated Cah3 in Chlamydomonas enhances the O2 evolution rate by proton removal
The EMBO Journal: 2008 27:782-791
Lundin B, Thuswaldner S, Shutova T, Eshaghi S, Samuelsson G, Barber J, Andersson B, Spetea C
Subsequent events to GTP binding by the plant PsbO protein: Structural changes, GTP hydrolysis and dissociation from the photosystem II complex.
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta: 2007 1767:500-508
Shutova T, Klimov VV, Andersson B, Samuelsson G
A cluster of carboxylic groups in PsbO protein is involved in proton transfer from the water oxidizing complex of Photosystem II
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta: 2007 1767:434-440
Shutova T, Nikitina J, Deikus G, Andersson B, Klimov V, Samuelsson G
Structural dynamics of the manganese-stabilizing protein - Effect of pH, calcium, and manganese
Biochemistry: 2005 44:15182-15192
Carlberg I, Hansson M, Kieselbach T, Schroder WP, Andersson B, Vener AV
A novel plant protein undergoing light-induced phosphorylation and release from the photosynthetic thylakoid membranes
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A: 2003 100:757-762
Noren H, Svensson P, Stegmark R, Funk C, Adamska I, Andersson B
Expression of the early light-induced protein but not the PsbS protein is influenced by low temperature and depends on the developmental stage of the plant in field-grown pea cultivars
Plant Cell and Environment: 2003 26:245-253
Yin TM, Wang XR, Andersson B, Kohler EL
Nearly complete genetic maps of Pinus sylvestris L. (Scots pine) constructed by AFLP marker analysis in a full-sib family
Theor Appl Genet: 2003 106:1075-1083
Andersson B, Elfving B, Ericsson T, Persson T, Gregorsson B
Performance of improved Pinus sylvestris in northern Sweden
Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research: 2003 18:199-206
Lerceteau E, Szmidt AE, Andersson B
Detection of quantitative trait loci in Pinus sylvestris L. across years
Euphytica: 2001 121:117-122
Lerceteau E, Plomion C, Andersson B
AFLP mapping and detection of quantitative trait loci (QTLs) for economically important traits in Pinus sylvestris: a preliminary study
Molecular Breeding: 2000 6:451-458
Andersson EW, Rodriguez LS, Andersson B
Group coancestry-controlled selection in a Pinus sylvestris L. breeding program
Theoretical and Applied Genetics: 1999 99:73-80
Kieselbach T, Hagman A, Andersson B, Schroder WP
The thylakoid lumen of chloroplasts - Isolation and characterization
Journal of Biological Chemistry: 1998 273:6710-6716
Lindahl M, Funk C, Webster J, Bingsmark S, Adamska I, Andersson B
Expression of ELIPs and PS II-S protein in spinach during acclimative reduction of the Photosystem II antenna in response to increased tight intensities
Photosynthesis Research: 1997 54:227-236
Hagman A, Shi LX, Rintamaki E, Andersson B, Schroder WP
The nuclear-encoded PsbW protein subunit of photosystem II undergoes light-induced proteolysis
Biochemistry: 1997 36:12666-12671
Adamska I, Funk C, Renger G, Andersson B
Developmental regulation of the PsbS gene expression in spinach seedlings: the role of phytochrome
Plant Mol Biol: 1996 31:793-802
Funk C, Adamska I, Green BR, Andersson B, Renger G
The Nuclear-Encoded Chlorophyll-Binding Photosystem-Ii-S Protein Is Stable in the Absence of Pigments
Journal of Biological Chemistry: 1995 270:30141-30147
Funk C, Schroder WP, Napiwotzki A, Tjus SE, Renger G, Andersson B
The Psii-S Protein of Higher-Plants - a New-Type of Pigment-Binding Protein
Biochemistry: 1995 34:11133-11141
Funk C, Schroder WP, Green BR, Renger G, Andersson B
The Intrinsic 22 Kda Protein Is a Chlorophyll-Binding Subunit of Photosystem-Ii
Febs Letters: 1994 342:261-266
Vermaas WFJ, Styring S, Schroder WP, Andersson B
Photosynthetic Water Oxidation - the Protein Framework
Photosynthesis Research: 1993 38:249-263
Ottander C, Hundal T, Andersson B, Huner NPA, Oquist G
Photosystem-Ii Reaction Centers Stay Intact During Low-Temperature Photoinhibition
Photosynthesis Research: 1993 35:191-200
Jansson S, Virgin I, Gustafsson P, Andersson B, Oquist G
Light-Induced-Changes of Photosystem-Ii Activity in Dark-Grown Scots Pine-Seedlings
Physiologia Plantarum: 1992 84:6-12